Floral Focus Wildflowermat (100% Native, Grown on Substrate)Pricing options will be displayed when a postcode has been entered above
Floral Focus Wildflowermat (100% Native, Grown on Substrate)
• Attracting a Wide Variety of Birds, Butterflies & Bees
• A Wide Range of Soil Types
• Maximum Colour – Minimum Maintenance
• Creating Low Maintenance Wildlife Habitats
• Wildflower Turf
• Green Roofs
A wonderful, colourful blend of 41 different wildflower species that is irresistible to butterflies, bees, moths and hoverflies. Floral Focus is a mix of vibrant colours and a pollinators paradise. Flowering from spring right through to autumn, the vast majority of the plant species are perennial, meaning that they will grow year after year, whilst the annual and bi-annual plants will pop up and surprise you in years to come.
Unlike many of our other Wildflowermat varieties, we have developed a more advanced growing system for our Floral Focus variety, which has been grown on a substrate base, and we’ve replaced the grasses with a new biodegradable coir backing fabric so that the wildflower area is super easy for you to install and extremely fast to establish.
• 100% native wildflower seed mix with no grasses added. • A vibrant colourful mix of largely perennial plants, with a small percentage of annual and bi-annual plants. • Stunning flower varieties in shades of yellow, white, blue, pink and purple.
• Requires cutting back once a year, with no other maintenance required
• Suitable for most ground applications, although a low fertility soil is preferred.
• Grown on a substrate, Floral Focus is suitable for use on green roofs
• Standard turf mat size is 2000mm x 500mm (1m2).
• The normal weight of Floral Focus turf is 24Kg per square metre (per roll), although this may vary
according to moisture levels. We therefore recommend having two people to install it.
• We recommend laying onto a 150mm minimum depth of low nutrient soil, please click link below
Low Fertility Topsoil
• A vibrant colourful mix of perennial, annual and bi-annual plants for sustainability and lower maintenance.
• Not all of the flowering species are perennial. We’ve included some annual and bi-annual plants too. These may not appear every year, but when they do, they will bring a welcome surprise.
• Long flowering period from spring through to autumn.
• Flowering Times: March – September (flowering times will be dependent on your soil type and local weather conditions).
• Floral Focus Wildflowermat creates a hugely valuable wildlife habitat for a wide selection of small mammals, birds, bees and pollinating insects.
• Floral Focus Wildflowermat is trimmed before despatch to minimise any damage to plants during transit. Therefore, it will not be in flower when delivered.
• To enjoy flowers in the first flowering season, you must install Floral Focus before the end of March, so that the plants have time to establish prior to summer flowering.
• The balance of plant species in Floral Focus, is influenced by the local microclimate, weather conditions, plant management and pollinator populations. It’s a truly biodiverse and natural evolving, adaptable product, which will change appearance from year to year.
• Very easy to install, the ground stabilising mat is pre-populated with living plants. Simply prepare the ground as instructed, unroll, peg down (if on a slope), and water frequently until plants and roots are well established.
• Floral Focus is an important source of food for caterpillars and therefore a vital part of butterfly and moth life cycles.
• Floral Focus will produce an abundance of autumn seed heads producing a ready supply of insects and larvae for birds.
• The mass of wildflowers will suppress annual weed seeds and helps stop weeds from germinating.
Where to Grow Floral Focus Wildflowermat?
Floral Focus Wildflowermat is suitable for a wide range of soil conditions but prefers to grow in full sun and moist, but well drained low fertility soil. It is happy on level surfaces or slopes and prefers a fairly neutral pH (7.0), but will tolerate all but the most acidic or alkaline soils.
Low Fertility soils help limit soil nutrients allowing wildflowers to establish and thrive with minimal competition. The low nutrients help to prevent grasses from becoming over vigorous, whilst also restricting the growth of other dominating plants so that they do not outcompete the wildflower plants in Wildflowermat.
For best results, lay your Floral Focus Wildflowermat onto 150mm of our Low Fertility Soil, which has been especially formulated for growing wildflowers. To learn more about our low fertility soil please click the link:
Low Fertility Topsoil
Floral Focus is grown outdoors on a wildlife friendly plant nursery. We actively encourage birds, insects and other creatures to share the benefits of the plants as they grow. We do not normally use Pesticides and Weedkillers in any wildflower turf production.
That means that whilst there is no grass sown in our Floral Focus turf, from time to time, grass seeds will be dropped by birds and we weed out any that we see. However, occasionally one or two seeds will be missed. The good news is that the growing medium we use makes it very easy to pluck out any unwanted weeds or plants that you might occasionally see.
How to Install & Care for your Wildflowermat.
Easy to look after, once Floral Focus Wildflowermat has established, it can be left to grow unchecked all through the spring, summer and autumn months.
Annual maintenance couldn’t be easier. Allow the plants to grow, flower and set seed over the spring and summer period. When plants look dry, stalky and sad, use a sharp blade to cut them down to about 10cm high. Give the spent vegetation a good shake to let seeds fall back into the sward and then pop it on the compost heap. Your Meadowmat will regenerate through the winter months and start growing again in early spring. Any unwanted plants can be pulled or dug out.
What Seeds are In Floral Focus?
Percentages refer to the weight of the seed in the growing mix and do not necessarily reflect the proportions of mature plants.
For a colourful display that provides lots of pollen and nectar to support beneficial insects all the way from early spring to late autumn:
• Autumn hawkbit
• Birdsfoot trefoil
• Bladder Campion
• Clustered bellflower
• Common daisy
• Common mallow
• Common sorrel
• Common toadflax
• Field poppy
• Fox and Cubs
• Grandmothers garden
• Greater Knapweed
• Maiden pink
• Meadow buttercup
• Meadow cranes-bill
• Musk mallow
• Purple loosestrife
• Ragged robin
• Red campion
• Red clover
• Sheeps bit scabious
• Small scabious
• Viper’s bugloss
• White campion
• White clover
• Wild Basil
• Wild carrot
• Wild clary
• Wild marjoram
• Wild pansy
• Wild thyme
• Floral Focus is sold by the square meter (m2). Wildflowermat rolls generally measure 2m x 0.5m which equates to 1 sq.mt, but rolls can vary depending on the cutting machine being used.
• There is no minimum order quantity for Floral Focus, however delivery will be by pallet, which can take up to 45 wildflower turf. So please try to order as close to a full pallet as possible, for economic reasons.
Wildflower Turf Delivery Considerations