October gardening tips
The weather turns colder
October will feel noticeably colder, time to get those jumpers on when out in the garden! This is a wonderful time of year with frosts appearing and blankets of golden leaves from the trees on the ground. However there is still garden work to be done!
What to do in the garden in October
Plants and Flowers
Move more delicate plants into the greenhouse to protect from early frosts and cut back on those perennials that have started to die down.
Reap the rewards of your autumn fruit by harvesting apples, pears and grapes.
Time to think of spring vegetables for next year! Spring cabbage should be planted out now.
Top 5 gardening tasks for October
- Trim back on overgrown hedges
- Prune climbing roses to ensure excellent flowering next year
- Collect the final seeds from your garden for next year
- Give your lawn a final mow
- Give you garden a mini makeover by laying lawn turf on tired lawns
For helpful tips and advice throughout the year you can Download our full 12 month calendar here