November gardening tips
Winter is approaching
November sees the last of the leaves fall, frosty days and nights and often freezing rains – oh the joys of the British winter! Protecting your garden should be your priority now.
What to do in the garden in November
Plants and Flowers
Get any other plants that can’t withstand the cold inside the greenhouse now. Keep lawns and flowerbeds free from fallen leaves. Plant out winter bedding plants.
You can prevent winter moths from damaging fruit trees by wrapping grease bands around their trunks.
You can still enjoy your own vegetables at this time year. Grow hardy winter salads in the greenhouse such as Winter Gem, winter land cress, and corn salad.
Top 5 gardening tasks for November
- Raise any containers on your patio to ensure they don’t get waterlogged
- Get your tulips in the ground
- Insulate outdoor containers from the harsh weather – wrapping them in bubble wrap will do the trick.
- Feed the birds! It’s a tough time of year for many birds so why not give them a helping hand?
- Make the most of bonfire night to clear your garden debris.
For helpful tips and advice throughout the year you can Download our full 12 month calendar here