August gardening tips
Hazy days and warm summer nights…
Keep to a strict watering schedule in August and make sure you’ve got garden helpers on hand if you are planning to spend some time away from home. Prune summer-flowering shrubs to keep them neat and encourage further growth.
What to do in the garden in August
Plants and Flowers
Collect seeds from garden plants which can be used for next year’s garden. Keep soil nourished by topping up with high grade topsoil and green manures.
Pruning fruit plants is essential at this time of year, and make sure you cut out old fruited canes on raspberries. and pot rooted strawberry runners too.
August is a great time for harvesting veggies so keep an eye on your vegetable patch, sweetcorn, broccoli, and lettuces should all be ready to enjoy.
Top 5 GardeningTasks for August
- Deadhead your flowering plants on a regular basis.
- Watering! Pay attention to all your plants and flowers and don’t let them dry out – but do try to recycle water where you can.
- Keep ponds and water features clean and free of dirt and debris, and top them up with water if needed.
- Reap the rewards of a well thought out vegetable garden and eat what you grew!
- Give soil a helping hand by adding composts and green manures to keep it healthy.
For helpful tips and advice throughout the year you can Download our full 12 month calendar here